Member login

Recent posts

Recent comments


Sat 18 August - 1st XI v Flimwell

Posted on 20th August in 1sts Match Reports, 2007

Flimwell’s a long way away. Their ground has a short enough boundary behind the stumps for Ray to walk to his fine leg position in-between overs without holding up the game, and a long enough boundary square of the wicket for Duracell James to run around happily all day long. James was only distracted the once (unfortunately when the ball was coming towards him from high in the air) but his running and throwing more than made up for his drop. Sam ‘Rapido’ Trick fielded with a very casual attitude all afternoon, but pulled a ferocious throw out the bag to run out Flimwell’s no.6 bat. John Dinnis’ exuberant run out attempt which missed all three stumps and the unimpressed backing-up fielder (who happened to be our Captain) made me chuckle. Ray Trick proved that he hasn’t lost his charm as he somehow got a cup of tea made and delivered to him in the field because he needed a ‘little boost’ after a gruelling 20 overs in the sweltering heat. Indeed it was very overcast all day, and the light-but-continuous rain near the end of the game did get the opposition a bit wet. Although by now Ray had located the comfiest chair in the pavilion and had set it up like a throne by the window.

Anyway, of course we won the toss and elected to bowl. James Trick (9-31-0) and John Dinnis (8-37-0) ensured we had a tight opening spell, although couldn’t provide the breakthrough. Pete Wright (9-23-2) was the pick of our bowlers. He took the first scalp with not his greatest delivery, which the batsman tried to pull, but got a big edge which looped up past Martin towards Ed Walker at short backward square. Fortunately for Shoreham my outstretched hand plucked the ball from the air in what was widely agreed in the pub afterwards to be the Play Of The Day. The Flimwell openers had reached 102 though before their first wicket fell, and were looking set for a high total. Ray Trick (8-45-2) put down his cup of tea long enough to take out their number 3 and 4 bats, then Pete took care of their number 2 with a caught behind from Martin. Flimwell added a handful more runs near the end of their innings to close on 190 for 6. Nick Walker Jnr took a couple of nice catches, and Martin got a stumping as well I think.

The two Nick Walker’s got our innings off to a quick start. Senior was caught on 12 though, but Junior carried on to get his maiden 50 of the season! Pete then came in at three and joined Nick Walker Jnr in the runs – amassing 46 with a few crunching straight sixes (none of which he middled apparently). James Trick (13) and Martin Wells (12) were the only others to reach double figures, and Sam Trick (4no) joined Martin at the end to help us to victory with six overs and four wickets to spare.

We retired to a very pleasant pub a short drive away and bought a load of chips and sausages to celebrate our achievement. A few diehards made it back to The George to join those remaining from the 2nds game, and I can’t remember much after that.

- Ed

One Response

  1. Hatchethands says:
    August 21st, 2007 at 11:15 am

    Ed, despite awarding yourself play of the day for a very good and welcome catch I thought about this some more over the weekend and came to the conclusion that the play of the day should go to the opposition No.6 after his run out. The double flinging of the bat and the hurling away of his helmet and susequent kicking it receieved all the way back to the pavillion (fortunately it was the short boundary otherwise he could have hurt himself) did provide us with that uplifting moment of levity that we strive for in all our games.